Search result

Harjulampi Accessible Trail

  • The view of Harjulampi from the trail. Photo: AT

    The view of Harjulampi from the trail. Photo: AT

Harjulampi Accessible Trail

The Harjulampi Accessible Trail starts 1.5 km south of the Rovaniemi city centre, in Rantavitikka. The trail passes through the shoreline scenery of Harjulampi, a beautiful pond with a rich variety of birds. During the years 1967-1998, 85 bird species have been spotted there. 32 of them nest permanently. The trail is popular among bird watchers and families with children, and accessible from the road all the way to the bird-watching tower. It is in use when the ground is free from snow. The length one way is 72 m. The route passes through heavy, atmospheric shoreline forests and has a view to Harjulampi.


At the end of the accessible trail, there is a sturdy bird-watching tower with several observation levels. The tower has a great view over the entire Harjulampi area, an excellent place for bird watching all summer.


Directions: Drive 1.1 km along Yliopistonkatu from the Rovaniemi church toward Rantavitikka. The tower stands on the right side of the intersection of Yliopistonkatu and Korvanranta, and there are signs that lead to the tower from the intersection. If necessary, you can park in the yard of the nearby Rantavitikka school.

Comments

Add comment

No comments

Information

  • Length: 0.07 km
  • Time: 1 h
  • Viewed: 9876
  • Latitude: 66.486445038963
  • Longitude: 25.7222555604271

Nearby destinations

  • Pöyliövaara accessible trail
    The Pöyliövaara Accessible Trail is around 3 km south of the city centre of Rovaniemi and the Kemi River. In the winter, ski trails connect to the Ounasvaara ski trail network. Pöyliövaara, or Pöyliö Hill, is a popular berry picking site in the summer.  You can reach the start of the trail by car via the Kemin itäpuolentie road...
  • Salmijärvi lean-to
    The Salmijärvi lean-to is located along the Kolpeneentie road, about 2.3 km south-east from the city centre of Rovaniemi, on the shore of Lake Salmijärvi.  The log-built Salmijärvi lean-to is situated on the shore of the lake in an atmospheric spit with a lot of birches. The lean-to area is graveled. There is a campfire site, sleeping platform, benches and a waste bin at the lean-to...
  • Memory trail
    The Cultural Committee of Rovaniemi organised an open environmental art competition in spring 2010. The competition sought a piece or series of pieces that would unite the cultural attractions of Rovaniemi to form a cultural trail. The winning entry was entitled Muistojen reitti(memory trail) and submitted by Liisa Karintaus and Tiia Lepistö. The memory trail leads those going on foot or by bicycle to the historical sites of the city in addition to the cultural attractions of Rovaniemi...
  • Old Church, 16–17 July 1932
    The photograph shows the Old Church of Rovaniemi at the time of the parish’s 300th anniversary on 16–17 July 1932. The old wooden cruciform church seated 1,200 people, and was located close to the current church. Just before their northbound withdrawal, the German troops set the church on fire with petrol bombs. The new, current church was completed in August 1950...
  • View of Maantiekatu, around the 1910s
    Maantiekatu used to be the main road of Rovaniemi.  Over 30 shops varying from hardware shops to delicatessens were located along the street in the 1910s, not to mention the Rovaniemi markets. This photograph taken from the old church’s tower shows buildings on Maantiekatu; at the front are the post office and Ida Hannula’s book and paper shop, the Konttinen Manor is visible in the background...
  • Ounaskoski bridge, 1930s
    The railway from Rovaniemi to Kemijärvi was completed in 1934. On the first part of the route, large and expensive bridges needed to be built, such as the Ounaskoski bridge. The old bridge in the photograph was used only for about 10 years, because the German troops blew it up when withdrawing from Lapland in October 1944. The current bridge was completed in 1951...
  • Konttinen, 1910s
    The Konttinen Manor depicted from across River Kemijoki. The Konttinen Manor was commissioned by Norwegian timber businessman Terje Olsen in late 19th century. As of 1900, the manor housed the forest division of the Kemi company operating in the wood processing industry. The building was destroyed in the air raids of Rovaniemi in 1940...
  • Tuisku’s house, around the 1910s
    Shopkeeper A. E. Tuisku had a shop along Maantiekatu and a house on the shore of River Kemijoki. Tuisku being a local force served as a municipal foreman in municipal administration in 1897–1899 and as the foreman of the municipal board in 1912...
  • Beer factory, 1930s
    Before the war, the Tornio porter and beer factory operated in Rovaniemi along the current Koskikatu street. The factory building was completely destroyed in the war. After the war, the company considered transferring all beer manufacturing operations to Rovaniemi, but the new town plan did not allow for the factory site to be expanded. The factory was, however, rebuilt at the previous site and operated until 1972...
  • Ahon Auto, late 1950s
    The current Kukkola company building was built in 1939 to serve as facilities for the Ahon Auto car shop. The building housed also a service station. The building is one of the few pre-war buildings representing functionalism in Rovaniemi...
  • Lauri’s workshop, 1950s
    Johannes Lauri established a company called Laurin Tuotteetand a knife factory in 1924. Besides knives, products made of reindeer antlers and bone were produced by the workshop, for example, as souvenirs. The original production building was destroyed during the Lapland War and a new one was built at its site. The current workshop and shop operate in a house built in the late 19th century that was transferred from the village of Namma to the workshop’s courtyard in the 1970s...
  • Postal vehicle depot, 1940s
    Finland’s first postal vehicle line between Rovaniemi and Sodankylä was inaugurated in 1921. The postal vehicle depot was completed in 1931–1933. After the Second World War, the depot was expanded and housing was also provided to depot workers who had lost their homes. Bricks collected from the city’s ruins were used as construction material...
  • First railway station, around 1910s
    Rovaniemi’s first railway station was completed in 1909. Rovaniemi was enlivened by the railway; transport of goods became easier and passengers travelled. Once the new track was completed in 1934, the old station was transformed into housing for railway workers. Since the war, the building has served, among other things, as a post office, temporary railway station, women’s work house and the Provincial Museum of Lapland...
  • Workers’ hall, 1920s
    The hall of the local workers’ association built in part as voluntary work by loggers served as the headquarters of the Red Guards during the Finnish Civil War in 1918. In February 1918, the White Guards had a strong hold on Rovaniemi and the local workers’ association did not get the hall back for their own use until 1920. The building burnt down during the Lapland War in 1944, but a new hall was built at the site in 1949...
  • Second railway station, 7 July 1935
    The second railway station became necessary, when the train connection to Kemijärvi was constructed. The photo shows people waiting for the train transporting President Pehr Evind Svinhufvud to arrive at the station...
  • Lähdelampi lean-to
    The Lähdelampi Lean-to is 3.2 km south of Rovaniemi on the shore of Lähdelampi, a pond in Pöyliövaara. The large board-built lean-to features a campfire site, table and benches. There is a woodshed. Directions: drive 3.9 km out of the city centre of Rovaniemi along the Kajaanintie road, which turns into Ranuantie; turn right on Kemijoen itäpuolentie; drive 500 m; turn left on Kotikairantie; drive 400 m to the starting point of the Pöyliövaara accessible trail...
  • Jyrhämänkuja lean-to
    The Jyrhämänkuja Lean-to is in the city centre of Rovaniemi behind the health centre in Sairaalanniemi. The log-built lean-to is on a spit in the bank of the Kemi River, featuring a campfire site, firewood and benches. You can reach the Jyrhämänkuja parking area by car. The path to the lean-to is 100 m...
  • Harjulampi bird-watching tower
    Arrival instructions: Drive from the Church of Rovaniemi along Yliopistonkatu Street towards Rantavitikka. The first pond on the right is Kirkkolampi and the second pond on the right is Harjulampi. The bird-watching tower is situated at the junction of Yliopistonkatu and Korvanranta and signposts lead from the junction to the tower. You can park your car, for example, in the yard of the nearby Rantavitikka School...

Feedback

Send feedback

Share track


QR