Janne Marttiini established the Marttiini Knife Factory in 1928. As the operations of the factory grew, a functionalist factory building was completed in Vartiokatu street in 1940. The building was partly destroyed in the war, but was repaired right after the war. It is the sole industrial building of Rovaniemi to have survived the war. In 1969, the Marttiini Knife Factory was transferred to the Rovaniemi industrial area. The old factory building was renovated and opened to the public to celebrate Marttiini’s 70th anniversary in 1998. The building comprises office premises, housing and the Marttiini factory shop.
Source: Muistojen reitti brochure, City of Rovaniemi