Search result

Miettunen Sauli - Luonnon osa (2008)

  • Miettunen Sauli - Part of Nature (2008). Photo: Tatu Kantomaa

    Miettunen Sauli - Part of Nature (2008). Photo: Tatu Kantomaa

  • Miettunen Sauli - Part of Nature (2008). Photo: Tatu Kantomaa

    Miettunen Sauli - Part of Nature (2008). Photo: Tatu Kantomaa

  • Miettunen Sauli - Part of Nature (2008). Photo: Tatu Kantomaa

    Miettunen Sauli - Part of Nature (2008). Photo: Tatu Kantomaa

  • Miettunen Sauli - Part of Nature (2008). Photo: Tatu Kantomaa

    Miettunen Sauli - Part of Nature (2008). Photo: Tatu Kantomaa

Miettunen Sauli - Luonnon osa (2008)

The sculpture Luonnon osa is made of concrete and rocks over a welded iron frame. The concrete is tinted, and the rocks have been chosen according to the shapes of a reindeer. The antlers are welded from stainless iron and stand as large as trees over the pile of rocks. The posture of the statue is reminiscent of a bow-legged, silly-looking reindeer standing frozen on the road in front of a car, unable to understand the danger it is in.

The size of the work, including the antlers, is 300 cm by 200 cm by 150 cm.

The sculpture is part of the Pororaito project. The goal of the project is to increase Rovaniemi's attractiveness as a cultural destination and to enliven the cityscape through art. The project was carried out in cooperation with the Lapland artists' association. Works 1, 10, 11 and 12 were part of the Pororaito project.

In 2020, the sculpture was moved away from the secluded courtyard of Rovaniemi City Hall to the north end of Korundi House of Culture for everyone to access. The piece includes the Vasa relief, which was placed in storage to wait the completion of the renovation of the City Hall's interior.

Comments

Add comment

No comments

Information

  • Viewed: 758
  • Latitude: 66.5015309930863
  • Longitude: 25.719459709807

Nearby destinations

  • Postal vehicle depot, 1940s
    Finland’s first postal vehicle line between Rovaniemi and Sodankylä was inaugurated in 1921. The postal vehicle depot was completed in 1931–1933. After the Second World War, the depot was expanded and housing was also provided to depot workers who had lost their homes. Bricks collected from the city’s ruins were used as construction material...

Feedback

Send feedback

Share track


QR