Search result

Mellavaara lean-to

  • Mellavaara lean-to Photo: AT

    Mellavaara lean-to Photo: AT

Mellavaara lean-to

The Mellavaara Lean-to is 8.7 km west of Rovaniemi, along the Mäntyvaara – Pohtimolampi trail. The log-built lean-to is around 1 km from the Mellalampi pond on the southern edge of the Mellavaara hill, around 40 m from the trail. There is a campfire site, woodshed and waste bin at the lean-to.

Comments

Add comment

No comments

Information

  • Viewed: 12112
  • Latitude: 66.5285248210667
  • Longitude: 25.5364334820047

Nearby destinations

  • Sinetänpää lean-to
    The Sinetänpää Lean-to is 12,3 km west of Rovaniemi, along the Mäntyvaara – Pohtimolampi trail. The log-built lean-to is around 700 meters from the Sinettäjärvi, around 10 m from the trail. There is a campfire site and woodshed on the lean-to...
  • Ounaspaviljonki lean-to
    The Ounaspaviljonki lean-to is located at approx. 2.6 km from the city centre of Rovaniemi in the Sodankylä direction in the Ounaspaviljonki area. Also the Koivusaari nature trail is nearby. It is a nature destination suited for spring, summer and autumn excursions...
  • Harjulampi Accessible Trail
    The Harjulampi Accessible Trail starts 1.5 km south of the Rovaniemi city centre, in Rantavitikka. The trail passes through the shoreline scenery of Harjulampi, a beautiful pond with a rich variety of birds. During the years 1967-1998, 85 bird species have been spotted there. 32 of them nest permanently...
  • Memory trail
    The Cultural Committee of Rovaniemi organised an open environmental art competition in spring 2010. The competition sought a piece or series of pieces that would unite the cultural attractions of Rovaniemi to form a cultural trail. The winning entry was entitled Muistojen reitti(memory trail) and submitted by Liisa Karintaus and Tiia Lepistö. The memory trail leads those going on foot or by bicycle to the historical sites of the city in addition to the cultural attractions of Rovaniemi...
  • Old Church, 16–17 July 1932
    The photograph shows the Old Church of Rovaniemi at the time of the parish’s 300th anniversary on 16–17 July 1932. The old wooden cruciform church seated 1,200 people, and was located close to the current church. Just before their northbound withdrawal, the German troops set the church on fire with petrol bombs. The new, current church was completed in August 1950...
  • View of Maantiekatu, around the 1910s
    Maantiekatu used to be the main road of Rovaniemi.  Over 30 shops varying from hardware shops to delicatessens were located along the street in the 1910s, not to mention the Rovaniemi markets. This photograph taken from the old church’s tower shows buildings on Maantiekatu; at the front are the post office and Ida Hannula’s book and paper shop, the Konttinen Manor is visible in the background...
  • Ounaskoski bridge, 1930s
    The railway from Rovaniemi to Kemijärvi was completed in 1934. On the first part of the route, large and expensive bridges needed to be built, such as the Ounaskoski bridge. The old bridge in the photograph was used only for about 10 years, because the German troops blew it up when withdrawing from Lapland in October 1944. The current bridge was completed in 1951...
  • Konttinen, 1910s
    The Konttinen Manor depicted from across River Kemijoki. The Konttinen Manor was commissioned by Norwegian timber businessman Terje Olsen in late 19th century. As of 1900, the manor housed the forest division of the Kemi company operating in the wood processing industry. The building was destroyed in the air raids of Rovaniemi in 1940...
  • Tuisku’s house, around the 1910s
    Shopkeeper A. E. Tuisku had a shop along Maantiekatu and a house on the shore of River Kemijoki. Tuisku being a local force served as a municipal foreman in municipal administration in 1897–1899 and as the foreman of the municipal board in 1912...
  • Beer factory, 1930s
    Before the war, the Tornio porter and beer factory operated in Rovaniemi along the current Koskikatu street. The factory building was completely destroyed in the war. After the war, the company considered transferring all beer manufacturing operations to Rovaniemi, but the new town plan did not allow for the factory site to be expanded. The factory was, however, rebuilt at the previous site and operated until 1972...
  • Castrèn’s trestle bridge, late 1940s
    The bridges crossing River Kemijoki were destroyed in the Second World War. A temporary trestle bridge was constructed every spring between 1946 and 1951 after the ice had broken at the site of the current Jätkänkynttilä Bridge. For a few winters, the Kemijärvi trains crossed the river on rails that were installed on the ice. A ferry boat also crossed the rivers Kemijoki and Ounasjoki...
  • Log floating on River Kemijoki, 1960
    The log floating on River Kemijoki began in the 1860s. Felling usually ended in March and then the logs were stored upstream, marked and measured. In the spring, the logs were debarked and, once the river had thawed, the floating of the logs along rivers to steam sawmills of the south began. The fall log floating started after salmon fishing ended on 15 August...
  • Maantiekatu street, late 1910s
    Maantiekatu used to be the main road of Rovaniemi.  Over 30 shops varying from hardware shops to delicatessens were located along the street in the 1910s, not to mention the Rovaniemi markets. This photograph taken from the old church’s tower shows buildings on Maantiekatu; at the front are the post office and Ida Hannula’s book and paper shop, the Konttinen Manor is visible in the background...
  • Wiiri boat, 1910s
    Although Rovaniemi was accessible by rail in the 1910s, northbound road connections from Rovaniemi were still rather modest. Steamboats Wiiri and Wanttaus transported passengers upstream from Lainaanranta along rivers Kemijoki and Ounasjoki in the 1910s. When cars became more frequent, the boat connections were considered slow and were terminated at the end of the 1920s...
  • Pitkäniemi Sawmill, 1910s
    The sawmill industry grew in Northern Finland in the latter half of the 19th century. The first steam sawmill of Rovaniemi, Pitkäniemi steam sawmill, was established in Sahanperä by River Ounasjoki in 1901. During the depression of the 1930s, the difficulties of the Pitkäniemi steam sawmill grew unbearable and it ended its operations in 1934...
  • Marttiini 9 December 1955
    Janne Marttiini established the Marttiini Knife Factory in 1928. As the operations of the factory grew, a functionalist factory building was completed in Vartiokatu street in 1940. The building was partly destroyed in the war, but was repaired right after the war. It is the sole industrial building of Rovaniemi to have survived the war...
  • Ahon Auto, late 1950s
    The current Kukkola company building was built in 1939 to serve as facilities for the Ahon Auto car shop. The building housed also a service station. The building is one of the few pre-war buildings representing functionalism in Rovaniemi...
  • Lauri’s workshop, 1950s
    Johannes Lauri established a company called Laurin Tuotteetand a knife factory in 1924. Besides knives, products made of reindeer antlers and bone were produced by the workshop, for example, as souvenirs. The original production building was destroyed during the Lapland War and a new one was built at its site. The current workshop and shop operate in a house built in the late 19th century that was transferred from the village of Namma to the workshop’s courtyard in the 1970s...
  • Postal vehicle depot, 1940s
    Finland’s first postal vehicle line between Rovaniemi and Sodankylä was inaugurated in 1921. The postal vehicle depot was completed in 1931–1933. After the Second World War, the depot was expanded and housing was also provided to depot workers who had lost their homes. Bricks collected from the city’s ruins were used as construction material...
  • First railway station, around 1910s
    Rovaniemi’s first railway station was completed in 1909. Rovaniemi was enlivened by the railway; transport of goods became easier and passengers travelled. Once the new track was completed in 1934, the old station was transformed into housing for railway workers. Since the war, the building has served, among other things, as a post office, temporary railway station, women’s work house and the Provincial Museum of Lapland...
  • Workers’ hall, 1920s
    The hall of the local workers’ association built in part as voluntary work by loggers served as the headquarters of the Red Guards during the Finnish Civil War in 1918. In February 1918, the White Guards had a strong hold on Rovaniemi and the local workers’ association did not get the hall back for their own use until 1920. The building burnt down during the Lapland War in 1944, but a new hall was built at the site in 1949...
  • Second railway station, 7 July 1935
    The second railway station became necessary, when the train connection to Kemijärvi was constructed. The photo shows people waiting for the train transporting President Pehr Evind Svinhufvud to arrive at the station...
  • Mäntyvaara – Pohtimolampi outdoor route
    The Mäntyvaara – Pohtimolampi outdoor route is the first outdoor route with outdoor route delivery in Lapland.  The route can be used during the thaw from May to October. Mountain biking is possible on the route at your own risk, due to the structures, the route is demanding for mountain biking. To make mountain biking easier, a strengthened path has been built in the swamp areas between Mäntyvaara and Mellavaara. In winter, a ski track is made on the route between Mäntyvaara and Sinetänpää laavu...
  • Korkalovaara nature trail
    The Korkalovaara Nature Trail is located around 3.6 km west of the city centre of Rovaniemi. Korkalovaara, or Korkalo Hill, is one of the hills surrounding the city, and it has been developed since the 1960s. The top of the northern side has been reserved for recreational use. The area features a tennis hall and a small ski slope and diverse ski trails...
  • Koivusaari nature trail
    The Koivusaari Nature Trail is located 2.3 km from the city centre of Rovaniemi toward Sodankylä, on Koivusaari, or Koivu Island, in the Ounas River delta. It is a part of Rovaniemi’s city centre trail network. The Koivusaari Nature Trail is well suited for spring, summer and autumn excursions. The delta islands of the Ounas River are low sand islands and sandbanks that get flooded in the spring...
  • Kuolavaara lean-to
    The Kuolavaara Lean-to is 7.5 km south-west of the Rovaniemi city centre along Imarintie. The log-built lean-to is on top of Kuolavaara Hill along a fitness trail in a pine forest. It features a campfire site and woodshed...
  • Korkalovaara nature trail lean-to
    The Korkalovaara Nature Trail Lean-to is on a small hill 4.6 km north-west of the city centre of Rovaniemi. Two log-built lean-tos face each other with a campfire site in the middle and benches on both sides. There is a woodshed nearby...
  • Kuninkaanlaavu lean-to
    The Kuninkaanlaavu lean-to is located at Santavaara Hill at approx. 7.6 km from the city centre of Rovaniemi to north.  The Kuninkaanlaavu is a log-built lean-to constructed on bare rocks. There is another board-built lean-to next to it. The lean-to offers magnificent views over River Ounasjoki and villages Ylikylä and Nivankylä...
  • Jyrhämänkuja lean-to
    The Jyrhämänkuja Lean-to is in the city centre of Rovaniemi behind the health centre in Sairaalanniemi. The log-built lean-to is on a spit in the bank of the Kemi River, featuring a campfire site, firewood and benches. You can reach the Jyrhämänkuja parking area by car. The path to the lean-to is 100 m...
  • Iso Kuusisaari lean-to
    The Iso Kuusisaari Lean-to is around 11 km from Rovaniemi toward Kittilä along Kittilän itäpuolentie. It is on the island Iso Kuusisaari, close to the village Nivankylä. The large, log-built lean-to and campfire site are on the east shore of the island. In the summer, you can access the island by boat on the Ounas River...
  • Alakorkalo lean-to
    The Alakorkalo Lean-to is by the Kemi River, 5 km from the city centre toward Kemi. In the winter, a ski trail on the Kemi River ice ends at the lean-to, making it a popular rest stop for cross-country skiers. The log-built lean-to is right on the riverbank, featuring a campfire site, woodshed and boat ramp...
  • Niskanperä bird-watching tower
    Arrival instructions: The bird-watching tower can be accessed from main road 4 (E 75) via three different village roads heading to east. The junctions to Niskanperä are located at approx. 6 km from Rovaniemi to south. The driving distance from main road 4 to the tower is approx...
  • Paavalniemi bird-watching tower
    Arrival instructions: Drive from Rovaniemi Jätkänkynttilä bridge along Kajaanintie road (road 78) to Ranua and Kajaani direction for approx. 3.5 km and turn onto Kemijoen itäpuolentie road (road 926) at the Tervola sign. Drive along the Kemijoen itäpuolentie road for approx. 2.5 km, then turn right (to west) at the Paavalniemi sign...
  • Koivusaari bird-watching tower
    Arrival instructions: The floating bird-watching tower of Koivusaari can be accessed either by boat or via a nature trail. Main road 4 (E75) passes at Rovaniemi through Koivusaari Island which is located at the confluence of rivers Ounasjoki and Kemijoki. On the Saarenkylä side, immediately on the western side of main road 4 is located the Ounaspaviljonki recreational area and marina. The Koivusaari nature trail begins at edge of the marina, near main road 4...
  • Harjulampi bird-watching tower
    Arrival instructions: Drive from the Church of Rovaniemi along Yliopistonkatu Street towards Rantavitikka. The first pond on the right is Kirkkolampi and the second pond on the right is Harjulampi. The bird-watching tower is situated at the junction of Yliopistonkatu and Korvanranta and signposts lead from the junction to the tower. You can park your car, for example, in the yard of the nearby Rantavitikka School...

Feedback

Send feedback

Share track


QR