Search result

Pöyliövaara spring trail

  • The spring trail is clearly marked. Photo: AT

    The spring trail is clearly marked. Photo: AT

  • The spring trail is marked with red paint markings. Photo: AT

    The spring trail is marked with red paint markings. Photo: AT

  • Spring trail Photo: AT

    Spring trail Photo: AT

  • In the beginning, the trail runs in a beautiful hillside forest. Photo: AT

    In the beginning, the trail runs in a beautiful hillside forest. Photo: AT

  • An abundance of bilberries grow along the trail on good summers. Photo: AT

    An abundance of bilberries grow along the trail on good summers. Photo: AT

  • Surroundings of the spring are rich in vegetation. Photo: AT

    Surroundings of the spring are rich in vegetation. Photo: AT

  • The Lähde lean-to is situated at the halfway point of the trail. The lean-to comprises a campfire site and a woodshed in the vicinity. Photo: AT

    The Lähde lean-to is situated at the halfway point of the trail. The lean-to comprises a campfire site and a woodshed in the vicinity. Photo: AT

  • The spring trail runs mainly on dry heath terrain. Photo: AT

    The spring trail runs mainly on dry heath terrain. Photo: AT

  • There is a massive pine forest along the spring trail. Photo: AT

    There is a massive pine forest along the spring trail. Photo: AT

Pöyliövaara spring trail

The Pöyliövaara Water Spring Trail is 3.1 km south of the city centre of Rovaniemi and the Kemi River. In the winter, there are ski trails that connect to the Ounasvaara ski trail network. Pöyliövaara, or Pöyliö Hill, is a popular berry-picking site in the summer.

The water spring trail is clearly marked in the terrain with red paint. The total climb of the trail is around 35 m, but only at around 10 degrees, apart from one 10 m climb of 22 degrees. The trail is rocky, so it is slippery when it rains. Dry pine forests are typical to the whole trail. Before the lean-to, there is a bog area where the trail runs on duckboards. It is 1.9 km long, and you should allow 2 hours for hiking. The difficulty is medium. The trail is a good destination for day trips. It is open during the snow-free season, May to October.

The log-built Lähde Lean-to is along the trail in a dry pine forest by the hill, equipped with a campfire site and a woodshed.

Directions: drive 3.9 km out of the city centre of Rovaniemi along Kajaanintie, which turns into Ranuantie; turn right on Kemijoen itäpuolentie; drive 300 m; turn left into the Pöyliövaara parking area (150 m). The water spring trail starts at the edge of the parking area. The trail is accessible when the ground is free of snow from May to October. There are several daily bus connections to the parking area.

Comments

Add comment
3.0/5
Tuula Kukkonen 12/20/2021 2:58 PM
Polun merkinnät tulisi uusia....ovat menneet rikki,lahonneet jne-tosi ränsistyneet..
Kaipaa ns kasvojen pesun koko reitin viitoitus/ merkinnät!!!!
Perusretkeilijä 7/26/2022 8:06 PM
Kahdella parikymppisellä perusretkeilijällä meni reittiin 45min ja urheilukellon mukaan matkaa tuli noin 2,5 km. Osa reitistä on tosiaan huonosti merkattu ja pitkospuita on lahonnut. Muuten oikein kiva, nopeahko ja sopivan haastava reitti niin että mielenkiinto pysyy yllä mutta sykkeet ei nouse juurikaan. Iltapäiväkävelyyn sopiva polku.

Information

  • Length: 1.90 km
  • Difficulty level: Intermediate trail Intermediate trail
  • Time: 2 h
  • Viewed: 26267
  • Latitude: 66.4685667078029
  • Longitude: 25.75388892481

Nearby destinations

  • Ounasvaara Summer trail
    The nearest point of the Ounasvaara Summer Trail is 1.6 km east of the Rovaniemi city centre. Ounasvaara is an ideal day-trip destination because of its easy accessibility. It is not only a famous sports centre but also a year-round recreation area near the city centre of Rovaniemi with marked and maintained trails and several great vantage points. At Ounasvaara, you can practise almost 50 different sports, and the selection keeps growing...
  • Pöyliövaara accessible trail
    The Pöyliövaara Accessible Trail is around 3 km south of the city centre of Rovaniemi and the Kemi River. In the winter, ski trails connect to the Ounasvaara ski trail network. Pöyliövaara, or Pöyliö Hill, is a popular berry picking site in the summer.  You can reach the start of the trail by car via the Kemin itäpuolentie road...
  • Salmijärvi lean-to
    The Salmijärvi lean-to is located along the Kolpeneentie road, about 2.3 km south-east from the city centre of Rovaniemi, on the shore of Lake Salmijärvi.  The log-built Salmijärvi lean-to is situated on the shore of the lake in an atmospheric spit with a lot of birches. The lean-to area is graveled. There is a campfire site, sleeping platform, benches and a waste bin at the lean-to...
  • RolloMTB Official
    Mountain Biking Trail, marked in the terrain with paint. Riding time 1.5-2.5 hours. The trail is technical and features significant differences in altitude. You can embark on the trail from the Ounasvaara Ski Centre, Santasport, or the Ounasvaara side of the Jätkänkynttilä Bridge...
  • Harjulampi Accessible Trail
    The Harjulampi Accessible Trail starts 1.5 km south of the Rovaniemi city centre, in Rantavitikka. The trail passes through the shoreline scenery of Harjulampi, a beautiful pond with a rich variety of birds. During the years 1967-1998, 85 bird species have been spotted there. 32 of them nest permanently...
  • Memory trail
    The Cultural Committee of Rovaniemi organised an open environmental art competition in spring 2010. The competition sought a piece or series of pieces that would unite the cultural attractions of Rovaniemi to form a cultural trail. The winning entry was entitled Muistojen reitti(memory trail) and submitted by Liisa Karintaus and Tiia Lepistö. The memory trail leads those going on foot or by bicycle to the historical sites of the city in addition to the cultural attractions of Rovaniemi...
  • Old Church, 16–17 July 1932
    The photograph shows the Old Church of Rovaniemi at the time of the parish’s 300th anniversary on 16–17 July 1932. The old wooden cruciform church seated 1,200 people, and was located close to the current church. Just before their northbound withdrawal, the German troops set the church on fire with petrol bombs. The new, current church was completed in August 1950...
  • View of Maantiekatu, around the 1910s
    Maantiekatu used to be the main road of Rovaniemi.  Over 30 shops varying from hardware shops to delicatessens were located along the street in the 1910s, not to mention the Rovaniemi markets. This photograph taken from the old church’s tower shows buildings on Maantiekatu; at the front are the post office and Ida Hannula’s book and paper shop, the Konttinen Manor is visible in the background...
  • Ounaskoski bridge, 1930s
    The railway from Rovaniemi to Kemijärvi was completed in 1934. On the first part of the route, large and expensive bridges needed to be built, such as the Ounaskoski bridge. The old bridge in the photograph was used only for about 10 years, because the German troops blew it up when withdrawing from Lapland in October 1944. The current bridge was completed in 1951...
  • Konttinen, 1910s
    The Konttinen Manor depicted from across River Kemijoki. The Konttinen Manor was commissioned by Norwegian timber businessman Terje Olsen in late 19th century. As of 1900, the manor housed the forest division of the Kemi company operating in the wood processing industry. The building was destroyed in the air raids of Rovaniemi in 1940...
  • Tuisku’s house, around the 1910s
    Shopkeeper A. E. Tuisku had a shop along Maantiekatu and a house on the shore of River Kemijoki. Tuisku being a local force served as a municipal foreman in municipal administration in 1897–1899 and as the foreman of the municipal board in 1912...
  • Beer factory, 1930s
    Before the war, the Tornio porter and beer factory operated in Rovaniemi along the current Koskikatu street. The factory building was completely destroyed in the war. After the war, the company considered transferring all beer manufacturing operations to Rovaniemi, but the new town plan did not allow for the factory site to be expanded. The factory was, however, rebuilt at the previous site and operated until 1972...
  • Castrèn’s trestle bridge, late 1940s
    The bridges crossing River Kemijoki were destroyed in the Second World War. A temporary trestle bridge was constructed every spring between 1946 and 1951 after the ice had broken at the site of the current Jätkänkynttilä Bridge. For a few winters, the Kemijärvi trains crossed the river on rails that were installed on the ice. A ferry boat also crossed the rivers Kemijoki and Ounasjoki...
  • Log floating on River Kemijoki, 1960
    The log floating on River Kemijoki began in the 1860s. Felling usually ended in March and then the logs were stored upstream, marked and measured. In the spring, the logs were debarked and, once the river had thawed, the floating of the logs along rivers to steam sawmills of the south began. The fall log floating started after salmon fishing ended on 15 August...
  • Maantiekatu street, late 1910s
    Maantiekatu used to be the main road of Rovaniemi.  Over 30 shops varying from hardware shops to delicatessens were located along the street in the 1910s, not to mention the Rovaniemi markets. This photograph taken from the old church’s tower shows buildings on Maantiekatu; at the front are the post office and Ida Hannula’s book and paper shop, the Konttinen Manor is visible in the background...
  • Wiiri boat, 1910s
    Although Rovaniemi was accessible by rail in the 1910s, northbound road connections from Rovaniemi were still rather modest. Steamboats Wiiri and Wanttaus transported passengers upstream from Lainaanranta along rivers Kemijoki and Ounasjoki in the 1910s. When cars became more frequent, the boat connections were considered slow and were terminated at the end of the 1920s...
  • Pitkäniemi Sawmill, 1910s
    The sawmill industry grew in Northern Finland in the latter half of the 19th century. The first steam sawmill of Rovaniemi, Pitkäniemi steam sawmill, was established in Sahanperä by River Ounasjoki in 1901. During the depression of the 1930s, the difficulties of the Pitkäniemi steam sawmill grew unbearable and it ended its operations in 1934...
  • Marttiini 9 December 1955
    Janne Marttiini established the Marttiini Knife Factory in 1928. As the operations of the factory grew, a functionalist factory building was completed in Vartiokatu street in 1940. The building was partly destroyed in the war, but was repaired right after the war. It is the sole industrial building of Rovaniemi to have survived the war...
  • Ahon Auto, late 1950s
    The current Kukkola company building was built in 1939 to serve as facilities for the Ahon Auto car shop. The building housed also a service station. The building is one of the few pre-war buildings representing functionalism in Rovaniemi...
  • Lauri’s workshop, 1950s
    Johannes Lauri established a company called Laurin Tuotteetand a knife factory in 1924. Besides knives, products made of reindeer antlers and bone were produced by the workshop, for example, as souvenirs. The original production building was destroyed during the Lapland War and a new one was built at its site. The current workshop and shop operate in a house built in the late 19th century that was transferred from the village of Namma to the workshop’s courtyard in the 1970s...
  • Postal vehicle depot, 1940s
    Finland’s first postal vehicle line between Rovaniemi and Sodankylä was inaugurated in 1921. The postal vehicle depot was completed in 1931–1933. After the Second World War, the depot was expanded and housing was also provided to depot workers who had lost their homes. Bricks collected from the city’s ruins were used as construction material...
  • First railway station, around 1910s
    Rovaniemi’s first railway station was completed in 1909. Rovaniemi was enlivened by the railway; transport of goods became easier and passengers travelled. Once the new track was completed in 1934, the old station was transformed into housing for railway workers. Since the war, the building has served, among other things, as a post office, temporary railway station, women’s work house and the Provincial Museum of Lapland...
  • Workers’ hall, 1920s
    The hall of the local workers’ association built in part as voluntary work by loggers served as the headquarters of the Red Guards during the Finnish Civil War in 1918. In February 1918, the White Guards had a strong hold on Rovaniemi and the local workers’ association did not get the hall back for their own use until 1920. The building burnt down during the Lapland War in 1944, but a new hall was built at the site in 1949...
  • Second railway station, 7 July 1935
    The second railway station became necessary, when the train connection to Kemijärvi was constructed. The photo shows people waiting for the train transporting President Pehr Evind Svinhufvud to arrive at the station...
  • Virikkolampi trail
    The Virikkolampi Trail is in Pöyliövaara, a hill 3.1 km south of the Rovaniemi city centre and the Kemi River. In the winter, there are cross-country ski trails that connect to the ski trail network of Ounasvaara. Pöyliövaara is a popular berry-picking site in the summer. The circular Virikkolampi Trail is 6,8 km long...
  • Ounasvaara winter trail
    The nearest point of the Ounasvaara Winter Trail is 1.6 km east of the Rovaniemi city centre. Ounasvaara, or Ounas Hill, is an ideal day-trip destination because of its easy accessibility. It is not only a famous sports centre but also a year-round recreation area near the city centre of Rovaniemi with marked and maintained trails and several great vantage points. At Ounasvaara, you can practise almost 50 different sports, and the selection keeps growing...
  • Lähdelampi lean-to
    The Lähdelampi Lean-to is 3.2 km south of Rovaniemi on the shore of Lähdelampi, a pond in Pöyliövaara. The large board-built lean-to features a campfire site, table and benches. There is a woodshed. Directions: drive 3.9 km out of the city centre of Rovaniemi along the Kajaanintie road, which turns into Ranuantie; turn right on Kemijoen itäpuolentie; drive 500 m; turn left on Kotikairantie; drive 400 m to the starting point of the Pöyliövaara accessible trail...
  • Lähde lean-to
    The Lähde Lean-to is 3.8 km south of the Rovaniemi city centre along the Virikkolampi trail in Pöyliövaara. The log-built lean-to is on the edge of a dry coniferous forest, featuring a campfire site and a woodshed...
  • Virikkolampi lean-to
    The Virikkolampi Lean-to is around 5 km south of the Rovaniemi city centre on the shore of the pond Virikkolampi on the southern side of the Pöyliövaara hill, along the Virikkolampi Trail. The log-built lean-to offers a view over the pond and features a campfire site, table, benches, woodshed and outhouse. There is also another campfire site with benches nearby...
  • Ounasvaara nature trail lean-to
    The Ounasvaara Nature Trail lean-to is 3.8 km east of Rovaniemi, along the nature trail on the southern edge of the Ounasvaara hill. The log-built lean-to is below massive outcrops, featuring a campfire site and woodshed. There is a clear, bubbling spring around 100 m down to the left from the lean-to. In the winter, you can access the lean-to from the same place along a marked winter trail, or by snowshoe through the forest...
  • Ounasvaara observation tower lean-to
    The Ounasvaara Observation Tower Lean-to is 2.2 km east of Rovaniemi, on the western hillside of Ounasvaara, near the SantaSport Institute. The log-built lean-to features a campfire site and woodshed. It stands on a rocky hillside next to the observation tower, which offers magnificent views over the city and the Kemi River...
  • Jyrhämänkuja lean-to
    The Jyrhämänkuja Lean-to is in the city centre of Rovaniemi behind the health centre in Sairaalanniemi. The log-built lean-to is on a spit in the bank of the Kemi River, featuring a campfire site, firewood and benches. You can reach the Jyrhämänkuja parking area by car. The path to the lean-to is 100 m...
  • Paavalniemi bird-watching tower
    Arrival instructions: Drive from Rovaniemi Jätkänkynttilä bridge along Kajaanintie road (road 78) to Ranua and Kajaani direction for approx. 3.5 km and turn onto Kemijoen itäpuolentie road (road 926) at the Tervola sign. Drive along the Kemijoen itäpuolentie road for approx. 2.5 km, then turn right (to west) at the Paavalniemi sign...
  • Harjulampi bird-watching tower
    Arrival instructions: Drive from the Church of Rovaniemi along Yliopistonkatu Street towards Rantavitikka. The first pond on the right is Kirkkolampi and the second pond on the right is Harjulampi. The bird-watching tower is situated at the junction of Yliopistonkatu and Korvanranta and signposts lead from the junction to the tower. You can park your car, for example, in the yard of the nearby Rantavitikka School...
  • Ounasvaara observation tower
    The Ounasvaara Observation Tower is 2.2 km east of the city centre of Rovaniemi, on the western slope of Ounasvaara. The massive tower stands on the rocky hillside of Ounasvaara, amidst a pine forest along the Ounasvaara Winter Trail, at 160 m above sea level. You can access the observation deck via stairs and an intermediate platform. The tower has a roof, and it offers magnificent views over the city centre and the Kemi River...
  • Ounasvaara nature trail
    The Ounasvaara Nature Trail is 2.9 km east of the city centre of Rovaniemi. It is an ideal day-trip destination because of its easy accessibility. Ounasvaara, or Ounas Hill, is not only a famous sports centre but also a year-round recreation area right by the city centre, with marked and maintained trails and several great vantage points. Ounasvaara offers the opportunity to practise almost 50 different sports, and the selection keeps growing...

Share track


QR